Friday, December 28, 2012

Healthy Chili Verde

First of all

Merry Everything 
and happy always.

Man, oh man. Those holidays kicked my butt.
But they are over. Almost. Lil' Red will be turning 2 in January, and once that is over, I can only hope that things will start to calm down. 

Mr. Red and I are having a weight loss competition to see who can lose the highest percentage of weight. If he wins, I have to go to an event of his choosing (like that's going to happen!), but if I win, he has to go to the event of my choosing. Needless to say, we will be attending a 3 day long country music festival that he will loathe every minute of.

So begins the healthy recipe kick for me! Here is what we're having for dinner tonight, already tasted and super delicious! I've never made chili before and I don't think I will ever make a different recipe.

Healthy Chili Verde

You will need:
1lb ground turkey
1 large red bell pepper
1 medium onion
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 16oz (or 2 8oz) jars of La Victoria green taco sauce (mild)
1/4 cup La Victoria chunky jalapeno 
1/4 cup water
2 15oz cans low sodium pinto beans
15oz can low sodium kidney beans

Preparation:
Cook turkey, bell pepper and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned, 8 to 10 minutes. 
Add garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. 
Stir in hot sauce and water; bring to a simmer. 
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. 
Stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

Top with plain non fat yogurt, or non fat sour cream, tortilla chips and/or cheese. 

Delicious.

This chili is very hot, and honestly I'm not sure how to make it more mild. We like it hot. 

Let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment